Posted Apr 20, 2023
Job Title: Assistant Rector and School Chaplain, St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cathedral and School
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Job Description: St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cathedral and School in Harrisburg PA seeks an Assistant Rector and School Chaplain. In addition to assisting the Dean with preaching, teaching, liturgical, sacramental, pastoral care, and administrative responsibilities, the Assistant/Chaplain will nurture and build relationships with young adults and families in the church and the school, identify and connect with unchurched school families and teach religion. This is an exciting opportunity to work as a priest in a vibrant church and school with a lot of potential for growth and new life.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Provide pastoral care and counseling to parishioners in their homes or other settings
- Facilitate and coordinate young adult fellowship
- Preach sermons monthly
- Serve as officiant in the Dean’s absence
- Lead or support various teaching and learning opportunities for parishioners
- Assist the Dean with administrative responsibilities
- Develop a presence in the Harrisburg area community of religious leaders
- Report to the Vestry on a regular basis
- Provide pastoral care and counseling to students and their families
- Lead weekly chapel services for all students and faculty
- Teach Religion courses for all students
CONTEXT: St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cathedral and School have responded to God’s call to love and serve Christ and our neighbors for nearly 200 years. The Cathedral community is committed to spiritual formation for all, caring for one another, and bringing others closer to God through Jesus Christ. We fulfill those commitments through liturgy and worship, pastoral care, connection to the community, and Christian formation for all ages.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal School (Pre-K through 8th grade) is a Preschool through 8th grade, 140 student, coed, day school and has been the Cathedral’s primary mission since its founding in 1978. Drawing on the schools original mission to provide strong academics in a diverse and loving Episcopal setting, the school focuses on the whole person, with faith in the pursuit of knowledge spiritual growth, and the development of moral character.
SKILLS and CHARACTERISTICS WE SEEK
- Demonstrated experience with spiritual formation of children and youth.
- Lively, contagious Christian faith.
- Love of people of all ages.
- Pastoral, collaborative, dynamic, and thoughtful leadership style.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills.
- Collaborative, flexible, friendly and inviting demeanor
- Pedagogical skill and experience.
- Ability to use technology, specifically Google, Microsoft Office and social media.
- The ability to work collaboratively is essential to this position. We seek a colleague who is warm, generous, flexible, imaginative, curious and humorous, with a passion for Jesus Christ and strong liturgical and pastoral skills. Experience with and openness to diverse religious populations, multi-tasking, and organization are critical. We are open either to a newly ordained priest/deacon or a longer tenured priest.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Priest ordained in the Episcopal Church, or correlative ministry experience.
Master’s in Divinity degree.
Master’s in Education, or correlative education experience, extremely desirable.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time exempt position. Days and hours of work vary with liturgical, school and parish life schedules.
Minimal travel is expected for this position.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cathedral and St. Stephen’s Episcopal School are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Type of Commitment: Full Time
Does this job pay? Yes
Application Process: Send resume and letter of interest to Cindy Harbert at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: 06/01/2023